So last week, I'd arrived early at Tommy's shop (he hadn't arrived yet), parked my car there and walked over to have a chat with Chris. Upon Tommy's arrival, we got down to work, stripping off the battery and its holder (which was also rusted).
As you can see, the acid had worked its way into the integral structure of my car and rust was just everywhere!
The battery's mounting plate was properly rusted.
So we got to sanding off the rust with 200 grade abrasive cloth on the more severe areas and 600 grade on the less affected areas. We finished off the polishing with 800 grade abrasive paper and washed it clean of whatever oils or chemicals in preparation for painting.
Here's Tommy helping to paint up the mounting plate whilst I painted my car's structure.
The structure after paint, but sadly, the rust has worn into the surface at some areas. Seen here at the left of the picture (rough looking surface).
So I gave Kiong of Kiong Lee Exhaust a call to see if I could borrow one of his hydraulic jacks to check the undercarriage. I eventually found some of the acid actually got to the bottom end and had "aided" the development of slight rusting. This was quickly dealt with an 800 grade abrasive pad and painted over to a gleaming finish :)